Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Church at Shiloh inscription

The newly discovered church at Shiloh was discussed on this blog last December, but Israel Today has a little blurb online with some details I unaware of.  The full story is available only by subscription to the print magazine, but this much is online:

The floor of the worship sanctuary is decorated with brightly colored mosaics and many of the inscriptions refer to Yeshua (Jesus). The original church was built in 380 AD. It was probably destroyed by a flood and later replaced by a new building, based on information gleaned from the inscriptions.

Aharonovitch says one of the inscriptions is particularly unusual as it mentions the name Shiloh: “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on Seilun [Shiloh] and its inhabitants, Amen.”

“This is very rare and indicates that the early Christians revered this place as a holy shrine,” Aharonovitch said.

I don't see anything else online with more details than were initially reported.

6 Comments:

• well, if you go here you can view almost 60 pics that I took.

By Blogger YMedad, at Thu Jun 28, 07:22:00 AM

• YMedad - those are great photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

By Blogger Todd Bolen, at Fri Jun 29, 08:30:00 AM

• Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember the mosaic saying, "To God Jesus Christ." If so, this is an important physical testimony of early belief in the deity of Jesus Christ.

By Blogger psychobob, at Sat Jun 30, 03:48:00 PM

• This comment has been removed by the author.

By Blogger Todd, at Sun Jul 01, 07:36:00 AM

• PsychoBob - you're thinking of the Megiddo church.

By Blogger Todd Bolen, at Sun Jul 01, 07:39:00 AM

• Those who want to read more about Shiloh, both ancient and modern, can read my book, God, Israel, and Shiloh, an historical, and personal story about Israel's miraculous return to its Biblical heartland, despite the terrorism and other obstacles in its way. It can be found at www.godisraelshiloh.com, on Amazon, or in Barnes and Noble and other bookstores.

David Rubin